Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 2021 18:08:40 -0800
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: When did pkg(8) drop support for 12-stable?

On 2021-02-23 17:42, Mark Millard wrote:
> (Warner is only CC'd here.)
>
> Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on
> Wed Feb 24 01:04:13 UTC 2021 :
>
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021, 4:51 PM Chris <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Given this is a pkg(8) error, I brought it up on ports@
>> > but it was suggested I (also?) bring it up here on stable@
>> >
>> > OK awhile back I installed a copy of 12 stable from the
>> > usb stick image. I tweaked it to my wishes then got called
>> > away and haven't been able to get back to it until the other
>> > day. This is still a fresh install which has a populated /usr/src.
>> > So I
>> > svnlite co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>> > followed by a
>> > cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/ && make install clean
>> > which returns
>> > make
>> > /!\ ERROR: /!\
>> >
>> > Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports
>> > are
>> > guaranteed to build on this syst
>> em. Please upgrade to a supported release.
>> >
>> > No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
>> > ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.
>> >
>> > *** Error code 1
>> >
>> > Stop.
>> > Err what? Ok while I think this was from stable 12.1, it's still still 12,
>> > and it's on stable. So what gives?
>> >

>> 12.1 has reached EOL now that 12.2 has been out a while.
>
>> From release/12.1.0/ :
>
> "Tag releng/12.1@r354233 as release/12.1.0 (12.1-RELEASE)"
>
> I think that implicit in Warner's response is that
> versions of stable/12/ that are not after r354233 are
> also EOL. One needs to have stable/12/ material from
> after -r354233 in order for it to be supported.
>
> He might even mean that stable/12/ material from before:
>
> "Tag releng/12.2@r366954 as release/12.2.0 (12.2-RELEASE)"
>
> would also be considered as not supported.
>
> To be safe you should be using stable/12/ material from
> on or after -r366954 in order to have a supported
> context.
>
> (I'm not sure if anything is explicit about the status
> of stable/12/ material between releng/12.1@r354233
> and releng/12.2@r366954 .)
A HUGE thanks for all of this, Mark. This is EXACTLY what I needed.

# uname -apKU
FreeBSD fbsd12dev 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r363918 GENERIC  amd64
amd64 1201522 1201522
which pretty well confirms what you deduced.
I'm still a bit confused. It seems to me that it didn't _used_
to be that way. But my brain isn't using ECC. So a couple of
bits may be flipped.

> Since you did not provide the output from the
> likes of "uname -apKU" (or some rough equivalent)
> I've no direct clue which version you were trying.
> But you should be able to compare to the above to
> see which range the material is from.

Thanks again!

--Chris