Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:04:02 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPGRADE 2.2.8 to 4.0R

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 01:36:57AM -0400, Ben Williams wrote:

[snip]

>    Along these lines I'd like to ask if a "triple-homed routing
> bridge" (i.e. 3 NIC's, 2 of which are connected to ISP's and one to
> the "internal" LAN) is conceivable or even feasable. If I have my
> terminology right a "bridge" connects multiple networks with
> optionally (preferably for me) a firewall in place that does not
> decrement the TTL of a packet since none of the NIC's on the bridge
> have IP's. Would a FreeBSD 3.4R box be capable of this kind of setup?

Bridges are link layer devices. Firewalling on a bridge is kind of an
odd notion. A bridge really should not need to know anything about IP
or whatever the layer three protocol might be, and we ususally think
of firewalling at that layer. Of course, we can still do such a thing,
but FreeBSD support for a bridge-firewall has a few issues.

As for what "tripled-homed" means in this context is beyond me. I've
never really picked up what people really mean by multi-homed; they
seem to toss it about for a lot of different situations, especially
when you realize that you wouldn't be using multiple IP addresses.

Now how to bridge between two IPs... That really baffles me. A bridge
can be thought of as making the three physical LANs into one logical
LAN. Now making the two ISP's LANs into one... Will they approve?

>    This is -almost- the networking question I asked several days ago
> but I didn't get much input then .. hope to hear from you soon!

Well, that's mine without more detail. But remember I'm no networking
expert.