Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:05:54 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WebLogic

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:10:34PM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl said:
> > However, instead of paying 10-17k per CPU, why not run jboss?
>
> Well for some people, it's open source OS=good, free application
> server=bad. But I agree, if you don't desperately need some non
> standard feature only present in Weblogic (and if you, chances are
> your app has got some design issues), I wouldn't ever use it.

I find it fairly presumptuous and vaguely insulting to equate the use of
vendor-specific features with poor application design. I'm not sure about
the state of the art now, but not that long ago application servers like
ATG Dynamo had a wealth of features unavailable in free software that made
the loss of portability quite worthwhile.

the original question was not "Which application server should I use?",
but "Has anyone tried Weblogic on FreeBSD?". criticizing choices without
context or background doesn't answer either question.

chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne