Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:29:14 +0000
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating an Admin Handbook

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:43:38AM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> IMHO then you're not really interested in a definition of user vs admin
> task (which is fine).  You're interested in clumping things more people
> are likely to need in the first volume (which is fine).

Yes.

> Sounds like you expect Joe Average Handbook Reader to be the home
> user type, correct?

Yes, when we get to the end goal, maybe something more along the lines
that Nik is talking about, then we can have multiple volumes that
share some chapters (such as installation) between them.  I think that
would be ideal.  I think that going from one 900 page beheamoth to
that ideal in one shot and getting everyone to agree on the contents
of the different volumes and the architecture for the whole thing
would be a logistical nightmare, so I prefer to take baby steps that
we can actually achieve in the short term.

When we split up the book it makes the omissions stand out.  We have
woefully little about setting up and maintaining webservers in our
Handbook, which is one of the most common uses of FreeBSD.  That kind
of gets lost after 10 chapters of installating, the ports tree, unix
basics, and X Windows, but it really starts to stand out when you
split those basic prerequisites out.

I think we'll see more content submissions once we split up the
Handbook and make it more accessible.

    - Murray