Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:50:53 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        "ctm-users@freebsd.org" <ctm-users@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SVN for ports

Hi Stephen
> The FreeBSD project has now moved ports from cvs to svn.  But, ports is
> in a separate repository from src.

/pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/ includes:
	263582  doc
	60218   projects
	177052  www
Do you happen to know where they'll go ?
( ls doesn't easily show what's in /pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-SVN  )

> So if there is going to be a svn
> mailing list for ports, it will be a separate mailing list from ctm-svn.
>
> So
>
> 1.  Does anyone anticipate wanting a ctm-svn-ports, or will ctm-ports be
> enough?

It would be nice to have ctm-svn-ports please, to
	extract ports/ that match src/ release tags etc
	see meta info from commits (who, why, when etc).

> 2.  At some point, I would like to stop creating deltas for ctm-cvs.
> These deltas take a long time (an hour or two) for my computer to
> create.  (It takes about a minute to create ctm-svn deltas.)

OK, A win :-)

>  Will this
> upset people?

No problem here, (except I've been in habit of looking in /usr/cvs
for forecasting release imminence eg with
	 RELENG_x_y_z_RELEASE  The tag (not branch) of the x.y.z release.
	 RELENG_x_y_BP         Branch point to the x.y release branch.
Maybe ther's a simlar trick for svn later.

I also posted this:
 ] To:             Thomas Abthorpe <portmgr-secretary@freebsd.org>
 ] cc:             ports@freebsd.org
 ]
 ] There is no match for "svn" & "subversion" in
 ]          http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
 ]
 ] There are matches for cvs, I suggest add a link to
 ]         http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsSubversionPrimer
 ] &/or to some page that shows [man svn] sample equivalents for such as:
 ]         cvs -R export -r HEAD  doc
 ]         cvs -Q -R export -r RELENG_8_3_0_RELEASE  src
 ]         cvs -Q -R export -r RELEASE_8_3_0         ports
 ]         cvs -Q -R export -r RELEASE_8_3_0         doc
 ]         cvs    -R export -r RELENG_4_11_0_RELEASE src
 ]         cvs    -R export -r RELEASE_4_11_0        ports
 ]         cvs    -R export -r RELEASE_4_11_0        doc
 ]
 ] Not all users of CVS & SVN will be commiters, some will just extract to read,
 ] so best have an extra SVN link not obscured just under commiters
 ]
 ] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
 ]         just refers to CVS not SVN

> I am not in a hurry to do this - I don't plan to remove any mailing
> lists for a while.

Great, stability is good :-) Quite a lot of people will likely be
rushing to get ready to go on North hemisphere mid-summer August
shool/ factory etc related holidays soon.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".