Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:07:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joe Springer <joespr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install from DOS partition: this newbie is totally confused

Install FreeBSD 5 from DOS partition: Newbie totally
confused.

I am attempting to install FreeBSD 5 from DOS
partition, but I am stymied. Here's where I am so far:

1. Created kern floppy: kern.flp using fdimage
2. Created mfsroot floppy : mfsroot.flp using fdimage
3. Copied entire CD (disk1) to DOS partition, to
C:\freebsd

The machine I want to install on has no CD-ROM drive.

So this is what I do:

1. Insert kern floppy in A: and power on.
Looks good, get the same kind of output as in the
FreeBSD handbook, after a few minutes I get the
message to put in the MFS root floppy. So I do.

2. Insert mfsroot floppy and press enter.
Things continue happily for a few moments, I get the
message
	"Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key
for command prompt.
	Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds... "
OK, so PC reboots with mfsboot floppy in it.

3. Upon reboot, I see the following:
	FreeBSD/i386 boot
	Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
	boot:

Now what to I do?
I though I was supposed to get the Kernel
Configuration Menu.
How do I get the menu?
I assume I want to get to the menu by accessing the CD
files I copied to C:. But how?
Also, I made a drivers floppy (drivers.flp) which the
drivers.txt says contains msdosfs which I assume I
will need to use to access the current C:, but how do
I do this?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have searched high
and low in the FreeBSD Manual and FAQ, but I cannot
figure it out myself.

Thanks for your help,
Joe