Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:57:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha-2100 server support

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 jin@george.lbl.gov wrote:

> As wilko@yedi.iaf.nl wrote...
>
> > > I tried to install FreeBSD SNAP on our Alpha-2100 server, but got panic
> > > on installation:
> > >
> > > FreeBSD does not yet support system type 9 (ST_DEC_2100_A500)
> > >
> > > I'd like to know if this type machine will be supported in the future?
> >
> > If someone writes the machine specific bits to it (or ports them from
> > netbsd/axp if they already support the 2100)
> >
> > > Is there anything we can do to help supporting this type machines?
> >
> > Take a look at NetBSD and find out if there is already support for the
> > 2100. If there is, take a close look and start porting ;-) You will
> > need a machine that is already supported by FreeBSD/axp to compile stuff
> > for you.
>
> We have four Alpha-2100 servers, but no other FreeBSD supported DEC/axp.
> I have no problem for writing assembly code or doing kernel development,
> but it sounds like I need a running FreeBSD/axp at least. I guess there
> must be a way to compile the code under DEC/Alpha system to development
> it. Otherwise, how is the first FreeBSD/axp coming up?
>
> Is possible to use a DEC/Alpha instead of a FreeBSD/axp to compile stuff
> for FreeBSD?

It might be easier to install NetBSD on one of the servers and use that to
build FreeBSD kernels.  This works fairly well as long as you use
FreeBSD's make and edit the Makefile to include '-U__NetBSD__
-D__FreeBSD__=3' in the CFLAGS.  If you can get one of the other servers
to netboot from the NetBSD box, this would make an ideal development
setup.

I guess OSF1 could be used similarly but you would need to install gcc on
it first.  I really doubt that a non-gnu compiler could compile our kernel
without some work.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com