Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:59:42 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get more HDD space?

Kevin Kinsey wrote:

> Lutín wrote:

>>> When a filesystem is created, 8% of the space is reserved.
>>>

>> ¿Why?
>>

> Check the manpage for tunefs(8), under the "-m" option,
> for an explanation.

 From man 7 tuning:

     "tunefs(8) may be used to further tune a file system.  This command
can be
run in single-user mode without having to reformat the file system.  How-
ever, this is possibly the most abused program in the system.  Many peo-
ple attempt to increase available file system space by setting the min-
free percentage to 0.  This can lead to severe file system fragmentation
and we do not recommend that you do this."