Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:17:25 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: last in -current

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
   Once you've done that, the creation of a "wtmp migrator" becomes
   pretty easy.

Simple character formats allow modifying the format without building tools
for backwards compatibility.  Would require providing getwtmp and similar
functions for access and would break quite a bit of programs, but might be
worth it.  Has posix anything to say on this?  To me it seems that messing
up this much just for 8 more bytes for user id seems short-sighted (solaris
went to 32 in utmpx, I'm not sure about that :-).

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276