Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 1999 11:00:44 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Shashi Joshi <shashi@websi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 -> 3.2 STABLE upgrade changes root password???

Shashi Joshi wrote:

>         Another explanation that may be correct is the shell of root. I had
>         /bin/tcsh as the default shell for all accounts. I checked that the
>         aout -> elf did NOT generate a new tcsh (since it  is a port) so
>         that is sitting in the aout format.

OK, I guess that at some time you did
cp /usr/local/bin/tcsh /bin
Did you also make sure that tcsh was statically linked?  It is not so
by default, so if it is not statically built, then if your /usr is not
mounted, then tcsh won't work bacause it won't find the run time libraries.

It is quite easy to build tcsh statically.
cd /usr/ports/shells/tcsh/
make
cd work/tcsh*
rm tcsh
sed "s/{CC} -o tcsh/{CC} -static -o tcsh/" < Makefile > MMM
mv MMM Makefile
make

Now you have a statically built tcsh in your current directory.

Well, I might not have done that the "correct" way.  I would be interested
to know.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu