Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 00:28:58 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Elton Chiu <echiu@majendie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IIJPPP does no exit on line hangup

> Hi,
>
> I am using user PPP from the 2.2.5 Release and have been experiencing the
> same problem.
>
> I didn't have this hangup problem before I upgraded my system from the
> 2.2-Stable
> (before the 2.2.5 beta release in Oct/Nov).

Hmm, the hangup code was quite broken until just before the 2.2.5
release - I spent a lot of time with this 'till I eventually got a
hold of a second modem.

Just after 2.2.5, I added some diagnostics to the ModemTimeout
routine that check carrier.  I also added some stuff to the FAQ
(http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html).  It's worth looking at the
FAQ, and if you still have no joy, get the latest version from
http://www.freebsd.org/~brian, enable debug logging (set log +debug)
and fgrep for the "ModemTimeout" stuff.  You should see your carrier
status reported rather frequently.

You modem's probably faking carrier, and now that LQR is disabled by
default, nothing's there to notice the line's dead.

> Doesn't the 2.2.5 have the latest ppp?

It did at the time (bar M$-CHAP - it was too late to get a working
solution for the DES inclusion).  It's now hopelessly out of date -
the most noticable (functional) changes being the security model,
the phase transition code and now, the DEFLATE support.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;