Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 01:10:24 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "chia an" <alan_qc@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: help me to setup modem

Hello

Ok, we need to discuss some issues about modems in FreeBSD. Just
installing a modem in FreeBSD does not generate any networking
devices. In order to get a networking device, you need to create
a connection. The tun devices are generated when needed. If you
are just trying to get your box on the web, take a look at
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf. This file is for user ppp, and it should
generally get your BSD box on the net.

If you need to do other things with your modem, please describe
your situation a little better. For example, we would want to
know what kind of modem you have. How its hooked up (internal or
external) and what port its on. What your trying to do with the
modem, and any other details that seem relevant to your
situation is also good info to describe.

Also:
As far as the information in ifconfig, you should not see a tun
device until some form of link has been established that requires
network access.

<snip>