Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

> >      We need write-protect notch on the hard-disks :-)
>
> There have been times where harddrives had this.  But somehow a
> real switch seems to be out of fashion.  ...

I can remember the Good Old Days when disk drives had write
protect switches.  That't one of the few places where I believe
the industry took a giant step backwards.

BUT the good news is that there are some modern drives that
still support this.  I just bought a Micropolis 3391S (9GB,
7200 RPM, Fast SCSI/SCA.  $495 at Disk Drive Depot/CSC)  I
was happily surprised to discover that it has a Write Protect
jumper that could easily be connected to an external switch.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

-Pat