Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:41:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Wintermute <wintermute@n0p.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Access Control

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Wintermute wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with implementing
> access control system(s) in FreeBSD. If anyone has any information
> regarding their experience with ACLs, etc. under FreeBSD (i.e. TrustedBSD),
> sharing that info would be very much appreciated! :)

Most of the TrustedBSD work is still experimental -- that said,
experimentation is welcome :-).  The TrustedBSD patches require recent
-CURRENT systems, as they rely on extended attributes, only available in
-CURRENT.  As such they're not ready for production use, although I've
been using most of the features on my workstation and a server or two for
the past few months, including ACLs and Capabilities.  The ACL support
currently lacks a POSIX.2c-compliant ACL setting tool, although it does
include tools for settings ACLs in a non-compliant manner.  If you're
interested in contributing in that area, that would also be welcome.