Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:21:36 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does 4.9-RELEASE work with 3Ware RAID card?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:59:21PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 05:48 PM 11/19/2003, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
> >I think you have the best equipment to test it with :-)
>
> So, I'd have to be the guinea pig, eh?

twe0@pci1:5:0:  class=0x010400 card=0x100113c1 chip=0x100113c1 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = '3ware Inc.'
    device   = '7000 series ATA-100 Storage Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID
twe1@pci1:6:0:  class=0x010400 card=0x100113c1 chip=0x100113c1 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = '3ware Inc.'
    device   = '7000 series ATA-100 Storage Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = RAID

works without problems here. well, we don't use the raid-5 any more
due to some 'interesting' behaviour we encountered here once, though.

FreeBSD verleihnix.int1.b.intern 4.9-RC FreeBSD 4.9-RC #19: Fri Oct 24 14:23:51
CEST 2003 root@verleihnix.int1.b.intern:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/B-VERLEIHNIX  i386

Hmm - maybe I should update the system to 4.9-STABLE :-)

> I'm not sure I can afford to do that. I can run the
> machine through a few kernel recompiles, but can't
> leave it down long enough to do a real stress test.

you could go back to a working kernel if 4.9-RELEASE or -STABLE
does not work for you.

> I must say that I am in kind of a quandary nowadays. I'd
> like to install 4.9-RELEASE when I make up a new system,
> but I am very leery of using it on important machines.
> It seems as if the addition of PAE (Why wasn't this
> reserved for 5.x?) caused a lot of problems, and that

Then don't use it...

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Ceri Davies wrote:

  > I'm confused; how does one disable PAE? I don't see a kernel option for
  > it.

  'options PAE' turns it on. Without it turns it off. :)

(googled for "disable PAE FreeBSD")

Regards,
Holger Kipp