Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:04:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        lrios@ziplink.net (lrios)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux And FreeBSD

lrios@ziplink.net  asked:
> Could someone please explain to me why a Linux 75 mhz machine kicks the
> hell out of a FreeBSD with a Pentium II 266mhz 256M Ram and two ultra-wide
> fast SCSI drives???
>
> I love BSD but for performance reasons linux may be my choice.
>
> Any performance tips would be helpful...
>
> My linux machine puts out about 700 (locally)emails a minute while BSD
> only puts
> out about 200... my limits appear to configured properly.  My kernel
> options have been set.. Is there anything that I'm missing to get this
> machine to work???  The only difference between the two is that the Linux
> Box is working like a dog while the BSD box doesn't go above .05 load and
> stays around 90 idle

Mount your mail spool async and you'll makeup the difference.
The linux filesystem does this by default.  Not a great idea
in the face of system crashes; async mounts tend to leave the
disk scrambled beyond repair, but if Linux does it for you,
FreeBSD with async is no worse.

> What are the differences in memory managers between the two??
> I've got a consultant here trying to get linux to do everything but with
> the numbers I'm seeing it's hard to stay loyal.. Please help!!

Why would the memory managers have anything to do with an I/O bound
process like email?

http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                       softweyr@xmission.com