Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:30:27 GMT
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/89550: [amd64] sym0: VTOBUS failed (6.0 Release)

The following reply was made to PR amd64/89550; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org, awallac3@uiuc.edu
Cc: "Jan Mikkelsen" <janm@transactionware.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:29:08 -0500

 Hello!

 The 6.2's install shamefully paniced on our amd64-system -- due to this bug.
 We had to borrow an Adaptec card and then switch back to the Symbios ones
 after applying Jan's patch-1.diff

 Unfortunately, that patch allowed us to collect a number of kernel dumps:

 	http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/bonkers-crash-0.txt - GPF
 	http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/bonkers-crash-1.txt - spin lock
 	http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/bonkers-crash-2.txt - GPF

 (there were more panics with "spin lock held too long", but no kernel dump
 took place, perhaps, because the dumpdev is attached to the sym-card too)

 The second patch, posted by Jan on Sep 26th seems much better so far, although
 the driver's use of Giant is still disappointing...

 Maybe, Jan's enhancement can be committed to stop the VTOBUS-panics from
 happening again?

 Thanks!

 	-mi