Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 14:03:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: password portability

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Andrew Foster wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >I would like to migrate a couple of linux systems doing authentication (Cisco
> >tacacs) over to FreeBSD 2.1. Does anyone know if there is any way I can port
> >over a passwd file (specifically the encrypted passwords) from Linux to
> >FreeBSD? My gut says "not in this quantum reality".
>
> I've done it before - it can be done.  It's not easy, but NFS, cron, and the 'cut' command will help you.
Actually I suspect that involves porting the crypt from Linux to BSDI
and somehow figuring out that some of the passwords are Linux's (RSA?)
and some of them are FreeBsd's MD5. We'll have to bite this bullet
pretty soon too with the transfer of stuff from BSDI to FreeBsd.

Dror

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com