Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:34:46 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Blank screen using XFree

Here's an update to my previous message.  I retried the installation
today, and within xf86config, I identified my card as a Mach64, but
chose the SVGA server.  Once the installation process completed,
I fired up X (using startx) and got it to work.  However, this is of course
very limiting, and I'd still like to use the Mach64 server.

What happens when I try using the Mach64 server is rather strange.
The screen is completely blank.  Black.  Nothing at all appears (for
those who haven't read my last message).  I now know it's related
directly with the server.  I have used XFree86 in the past, with this
hardware, running the Mach64 server, but this was a one year old
version of the software running on RH5.0.  I'm now running FreeBSD
2.2.7 off a fresh install from the distribution CD's.  No code remains
from the old RH installation, and the machine is dedicated to FreeBSD.
This is a 3 year old Mach64 (1995) with 2 MB VRAM.

I'll continue looking into the problem (I've been suggested to try changing
modes while the server is running byt entering CTRL-ALT-plus or minus,
and to bring the output during x startup to a text file to see what's
happening.

If anyone has ever encountered this problem and knows how to deal with
it to get it working at full speed again (i.e. using the Mach64 server
without
any problems) then please drop a note!

Thanks!

Manu