Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:16:19 +0200
From:      Dean Strik <dean@stack.nl>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fibre Channel disks to two Systems?

--UFHRwCdBEJvubb2X

Danny Braniss wrote:
> hi danny
> 	you are asking too many questions :-), but w/r to netapp:
> same computer, 1gbE, NFS is about 50% slower than FC.
> btw, iSCSI (still beta) is only slightly faster than NFS
> (note NFS is UDP, iSCSI is TCP).

Of course NFS can be TCP as well. And must be TCP for NFSv4.

> as to reliability, the netapp is worth avery penny (actualy K$ :-), had o=
nly=20
> one major breakdown in over 10 years.

Same experiences here, with lots of NetApps. I would however not be
happy running PostgreSQL over NFS. With FC/iSCSI, no problem.

--=20
Dean C. Strik             Eindhoven University of Technology
dean@stack.nl  |  dean@ipnet6.org  |  http://www.ipnet6.org/
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong." -- Wolfgang Pauli

--UFHRwCdBEJvubb2X

--UFHRwCdBEJvubb2X--