Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:57:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phone rates

On Monday, 21 December 1998 at 23:19:02 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Brett Glass wrote:
>>
>> At 11:15 AM 12/21/98 +0000, tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Capitalism may reign supreme over on your side of the water, but
>>> British Telecom is unfortunately rather too good at sucking in the
>>> profits over here...
>>
>> I understand that there are two others: Mercury and another. Are
>> they undercutting BT or just going along for the ride?
>>

> Part of the problem is that BT still own all the major inter-city
> trunks, so even if you use Mercury making a call from, say, London to
> Manchester still has to use BT lines, which Mercury has to pay for. So
> BT still holds the upper hand.

That's part of the story.  In most countries, the (ex-)national
Telecom provider owns the trunks.  I think it's even the case in the
US, though I'm not sure.  It's certainly the case here in Australia,
but I subscribe to a discount service which gives me national
long-distance calls (up to about 3000 miles) for $0.19/minute in peak
time and $0.14/minute for the rest (Australian $, about $0.60 US).
That's *much* lower than Telstra, and pretty good in international
comparison.  Phone calls to the USA are about $0.31 a minute.

>> I do recall that some pay phones in the UK also rejected the 0800
>> number for my MCI international calling card. Why? The phone was
>> owned by a company that had an exclusive deal with AT&T. They
>> blocked calls to anyone else's 800 number.
>
> Don't know. I didn't think that sort of thing was allowed.

I'm sure it's not, but it's apparently pretty common.

Greg