Date:      Tue, 8 May 2012 17:20:00 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: securing MySQL: easiest/best ways?

--Sig_/PjggBA7e3x52p7yrIg.l+Xa

On Tue, 08 May 2012 21:51:49 +0100
Matthew Seaman articulated:

>On 08/05/2012 20:55, Jerry wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:34:02 +0100
>> Matthew Seaman articulated:
>>=20
>
>> The first time I ever looked for "my.cnf" I had expected to find it
>> in "/usr/local/etc". Since so many configuration files are stored
>> there, it just seemed like a natural place for it to be located.
>> IMHO, a centralized repository for configuration files greatly
>> simplifies system maintenance.
>
>Yeah.  It's no big deal.
>
>But...
>
>Maybe you want to run more than one instance of mysql on the same
>machine.
>
>Or you want to move the data directory lock, stock and barrel onto a
>different server.  Maybe it's some ultra fancy fail-over setup with a
>data dir shared between two servers.  Keeping the configs with the data
>does have a few advantages.

Actually, it has a lot of advantages. I only run one instance of MySQL;
however, for multiple instances, keeping the configs in one location
would probably not be advantageous. Someone else mentioned creating a
link for the my.cnf file. Since I never touch the my.cnf file once
MySQL is setup, I probably would not bother with it, although it is an
interesting idea.

--=20
Jerry =E2=99=94