Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 00:42:34 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1.1 refuses to see 30GB hard drive as > 2GB

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 08:50:27PM -0700, Heredity Choice wrote:
> Here is a game I played in Windows 2000 Advanced Server that will probably
> work in FreeBSD. Tell the CMOS there is no drive on the IDE channel to
> which the big Maxtor is connected. Then boot on a bootable drive, and
> while it is installing the OS may discover and mount the Maxtor, as long
> as the BIOS isn't interfering.
>
> There is software for WIN98, but not FreeBSD or Windows 2000, for fooling
> an old BIOS into accepting a big UDMA drive. To boot on the big drive in
> FreeBSD you will probably need to install a UDMA 66 or 100 host adapter or
> replace your motherboard with one that supports UDMA 66 or 100.

According to the motherboard's docs, it supports UDMA 66.  The system
is brand new (just got it less than a week ago), and the ASUS K7V is,
I believe, also very current.

The win98 boot disk that I used (a recovery CD for a laptop I have)
didn't have any special software---it just recognized the disk as a
30 GB drive.  The problem is, I can't seem to convince FreeBSD to do
the same.  I'd expect the reverse of that situation...in fact, I'd
find that very easy to believe...but this is strange.  Very strange.

I'll try this trick tomorrow, though---will post here if it works.

Later,
   --jim

PS:  I'm still having trouble with Joliet CDs.  Some work just fine,
     others aren't recognized as using Joliet extensions (and thus
     end up with lots of butchered 8.3 filenames).  I've yet to
     determine a pattern.  All of the CDs I've tried tonight were
     single-session, 700 MB CDs.  Roughly half of them were recognized
     as Joliet.  The others were not.  No amount of unmounting and
     mounting the CDs made any difference---each CD either worked, or
     it didn't.  Any suggestions on this?

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)               MiSTie #49997         < Running Linux 2.2.12 >
jim@n5ial.gnt.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM / Hurricane: 30.39735N 86.60439W