Date:      17 Apr 2001 10:59:03 +1000
From:      Toby Hutton <thutton@vet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I recently got a i8000 for work and so far I am fairly pleased with the success
> > I am having. Currently the internal modem and ethernet work, USB works and X is
> > running.
>
> Just wondering?  But does your Inspiron 8000 use the ATI Mobility and have
> a builtin DVD drive?  I had a couple problems that I can't seem to figure
> out, and haven't annoyed me enough to do something about it...
>
> With X, sometimes, when I'm leaving the graphics mode(switching consoles or
> ending my X session) the screen does a fade to a nice bright white and
> locks up the machine, causing me to swear and hard reboot the notebook.
> This is with XFree86 4.0.2 on up (I couldn't get a configuration to work
> with XFree86-3).  I'm wondering if it's my hardware or XFree86-4 not as
> ready for primetime status.

I have noticed this fade to white thing happens particularly if you
are using the text consoles and change font size with Fn+F7 on one
console and switch to another.

> My DVD drive isn't detected unless I wait for about a minute to boot the
> kernel (by setting the autoboot to 60).  If I don't wait that long then I
> get "ad0 identity retires exceeded" or something along those lines (don't
> have the dmesg handy :(

YES!  I've been getting this but I hadn't found a way to fix it - I've
been DVD-less for weeks.  I'll try this waiting thing out, thanks!
I've spoken to Soren Schmidt briefly, he believes the Dell ATA
controller isn't following spec...

> > Also, I can't suspend/resume which I am told is because of a BIOS bug which
> > sucks but there's not much to be done about that :)
> > (I can induce a suspend/resume OK but when the laptop comes back the fxp card
> > spits millions of 'SCB timeout' and 'DMA timeout', and it seems the ata
> > controller wedges, or doesn't reinit the controller).

APM is the only thing not working for me now.  I get 'resetting ATA
devices' upon waking up or something similar and the machine freezes.
I'm not going to freeze it now to get the proper messages... :)

So for me, installing FreeBSD involved:

Polling mode didn't work for the PCIC - gave it IRQ 10, fixed.
Sound card wasn't detected - add snd_maestro3_load="YES" to
/boot/loader.conf, fixed.
DVD drive not identified - wait a minute at boot, (hopefully) fixed.

Everything else, including XFree86 4.03 @ 1400x1050 works beautifully.
--
Toby.