Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 18:12:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chip McClure <vhm3@hades.gigguardian.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Subject:   Re: /.: Microsoft Cites National Security to Justify Closed Source

Hello Brad,

I read this one late last night on Slashdot as well. I really can't say
that I'm surprised that M$ is trying to use this as a crutch to keep the
US government from forcing the opening of the code. However - if it is so
dangerously flawed, how can the US govt. keep running this on publicly
available systems? Now that the knowledge is out there, in the Black Hat
community, as well as nations which are less than frioendly to the US,
isn't this an open invitation to attempt to bring the US Govt systems to
their knees? Let alone various financial institutions?

Honestly, I think this is truly a pathetic attempt on M$'s part.

Brad, I whole heartedly agree with you, that this is a breach of national
security on the part of Micro$oft. Not only for the US govt, but also that
of other governments & institutions where peoples lives depend on the
protection of sensitive data. For many many years, Micro$oft has thumbed
their noses at security. Now, it's coming full circle, and going to slam
the bunch of them in the face.

Just my less than $0.02 worth...

Chip

- -----