Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:38:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Carsten Bertelsen <cabe@q8.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to expand root filesystem on freebsd 4.2 ??

On Friday,  9 March 2001 at 13:01:13 +0100, Carsten Bertelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone know how til expand root filesystem on freebsd 4.2 release ???
> Any links ??
>
> A solution is to:
> boot on "something" and get a command-prompt
> backup all partitions,
> do disklabel, etc
> restore
>
> Is it possible to get a command-prompt booting on 4.2 release cd ??

I'm not sure what you mean by command prompt booting.

You can do something pretty close to what you're suggesting like this:

1.  Back up the partitions.
2.  Reboot from CD-ROM and repartition, using the 'w' option to write
    the configuration immediately.
3.  Start an "emergency" shell and restore to the new partitions.

You'd obviously need a backup program which is supplied on the base
CD-ROM, such as tar.  I also haven't tried this; you may have trouble
getting the emergency shell started.  An alternative would be one of
the canned PicoBSD floppies, assuming your machine has a floppy drive.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.