Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:02:10 -0500
From:      Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@mindspring.com>
To:        babjak@neuron.tuke.sk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct way to cvsup ports for -stable

If you are talking about updating the ports tree on a single machine via
cvsup, then it's easy.  Just make a copy of
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and update the name of the cvsup
mirror in this config file (say cvsup3.freebsd.org).  Then the command
"cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile" will get you an updated tree.  That's it.

If you use portupgrade to manage your ports (recommended), you will then
need to execute "portsdb -Uu" to rebuild your INDEX.db file.

To answer your question below, there is only one ports tree.  So, even
if you are following -STABLE for the base code, you will still follow
the HEAD tag (-CURRENT) for the ports tree.  So you generally cvsup
twice, once for /usr/src and once for /usr/ports.  The ports tree is
generally pretty stable, so it works out just fine.

There are refinements to this procedure if you have many machines or
want to keep a copy of the whole CVS tree (for looking at CVS logs,
etc).  Read the development(7) man page for an example.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@mindspring.com