Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:09:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many customers read news (was Re: News...)

Ummm.  No offense, but this has turned into an entire meta-discussion,
and at this point (perhaps long before it in fact :) it's generally
considered reasonable to take it into a smaller forum, like a private
cc list.  I'm not saying that the legal issues raised here are not
germain to ISPs the world over, I'm simply saying that the process of
defining the problem is consuming so much bandwidth that at this
point, I think the cost/benefit ratio has passed below what's
generally considered reasonable in a mailing list supposedly dedicated
to FreeBSD-specific issues in the ISP market.

I also think that this is more a failure in classification than of
communication, and I'm not trying to "gag" anyone's discussion of
child pornography and its applicability (or lack thereof) to the
business of Internet Service Provision today.  I simply think it
should go into a different, more appropriately targeted forum - say
"isp-content-issues@isp-alliance.net" or something suitably self-
descriptive.  Why *don't* ISPs have their own industry-wide or
region-wide mailing lists to discuss entirely
architecture-and-OS-neutral topics like this, for that matter?  The
very existance of this discussion here would seem to point up a
distressing lack of infrastructure for this.

Wake up and organize yourselves, guys (and gals)!  You hardly need to
hijack a FreeBSD mailing list in order to have this kind of
discussion, and creating a more appropriate ISP communications forum
with all the more-than-ample resources at your command would be a
proposal certain to receive my whole and enthusiastic blessing! :-)

					Jordan