Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Michael A. Alderete" <alderete@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HELP!] Crashing FreeBSD 3.1 Server with file system corruption

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Michael A. Alderete wrote:

(Non-details removed)

> Here are the details, hopefully someone will recognize
> the issue:
>
> * The server hardware is an Intel N440BX motherboard,
> with two Intel Pentium III 450 processors. 256 megs of
> RAM. Built-in graphics, and a PCI NE2000 Ethernet card
> (the built-in EtherExpress interface wouldn't work for
> me, another story, another time).

  FreeBSD was practically written to run on an etherexpress on those
moterboard.  If it doesn't work, your motherboard could be bad.

> * The disk subsystem is a SCSI RAID controller from
> DPT. It's a PCI card and has 4 drives attached,
> configured in a RAID 5 with one drive as a
> hot-standby.
>
> * FreeBSD is version 3.1-STABLE-05051999, with the
> kernel recompiled for SMP support and MAXUSERS=256.
>
> * The server worked fine for me as I was installing
> and upgrading it, adding and compiling additional
> software, uploading megabytes of data to the ftp
> directories, etc.
>
> * The server also had no difficulties when I sent out
> a company-internal e-mail with a request to bang on
> it. That's a load of about 30 users at any give
> time(http only, though).
>
> * We put it into production use as our main web server
> on Wednesday night. It handled quite a high load as
> people checked out the new site design.
>
> * Thursday night was the first crash, we don't know
> what caused it. The server rebooted, but fsck failed
> on /home, and so it didn't come up automatically.
> Manually running fsck fixed the errors, with a few
> files recovered to lost+found.

  Was it a panic, or just a silent reboot?  Tip:  fsck twice when asked
of a manual fsck

> * The next morning while examining the files in
> lost+found, doing a cp of one of the files, the server
> crashed again. This time it rebooted itself, found no
> file system problems, and came up.
>
> * Last night (Saturday at 5:30am, actually) it failed
> again. This time there are file system errors on /usr
> and /home. fsck fixed the problems on /usr and most of
> them on /home, but now we're getting an error about a
> bad sector. /home obviously refuses to mount.

  An error about a bad sector?  What kind of error exactly?  If I get an
error about a bad sector on a SCSI disk a production server, I send the
drives back.  Life is just too short to mess around with junk.  I'm
assuming that your drives have auto read/write re-allocation turned on
already.

> Anything known about problems in FreeBSD-STABLE with
> SMP configurations and RAID sub-systems? Or other
> obvious (or subtle) problems?
>
> Thanks much!
> Michael
> ===