Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:10:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc564 on SMP

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I started them in different directories, just to be sure...

Well, same here now, can't hurt!
> Well, OS/2 is still twice as far as us, so join in everybody...

Okay well, I've got a couple more machines to join in on this which I'll
get running tomorrow, to make my contribution up to 8 cpu's..

Some stats from this that amazed me : (seriously)

My desktop P166 (32Mb Ram) not much load at the moment is doing
200kkeys/sec.

With 2 processes running on a dual processor P133, each process is doing
180kkeys/sec.

The thing about this is that a p133 doing something like this that I would
have thought of as processor intensive should only get 133/166 the speed
of a P166 (okay so that's obvious).

But 180,000 / 133 * 166 is 224,000.

i.e. FreeBSD-SMP on very similar hardware here seems to be actually
outperforming my desktop system. Maybe it's late in the day and I'm
missing something obvious, but it's a nice sign to go home on. =)

	Steve

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342