Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 23:18:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   stable / Adaptec 2842 question..

	I upgraded to the most recent version of the Adaptec driver on
Monday (4/29/96).  Things are much more stable now.  (Thanks Justin!)
Before the upgrade, I couldn't get through a full cvs update i.e.:
cd /usr/src
cvs update -rRELENG_2_1_0
(btw - is the -r necessary?)

	It would bomb every time trying to update sys/i386/isa/sound.  I'm
not sure whether it was just a certain series of conditions that would make
it barf there, or if it's a bad spot on the disk, or what, but every time
the cvs update would get there, the machine would hang, then crash.  When I
did get a crash dump, it would crash inside the adaptec driver, I think
inside ahc_timeout() or something.
	Now, when I do the same cvs update operation, the machine doesn't
crash when it gets to /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound.  :)  It just resets the
SCSI bus!?  All of the pending disk operations continue, though, after the
bus reset.  (I haven't tried any stuff with my DAT drive at the same time,
though, so I don't know if tape operations would get hosed.)  Is the bus
reset supposed to happen?  Here are the kernel messages I get:

[ this particular one came during a cvs update operation, it barfed while
updating sys/i386/isa/sound ]

sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
Ordered Tag queued
sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
Ordered Tag sent
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1. 4 SCBs aborted
sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
, retries:3
cd0(ahc0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
cd0(ahc0:1:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred

[ this one came during:
cd /usr/src/gnu
cvs diff -rRELENG_2_1_0_RELEASE ]

sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in command phase, SCSISIGI == 0x84
Ordered Tag queued
Ordered Tag sent
sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1. 3 SCBs aborted
sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
, retries:3
sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
Ordered Tag queued
Ordered Tag sent
sd0(ahc0:0:0): timed out in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x0
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1. 3 SCBs aborted
sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
, retries:3

	Okey, now that the error messages are there, here's the hardware
I'm working with:

FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE #0: Mon Apr 29 23:13:23 EDT 1996
    ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/thunderdome
CPU: i486 DX4 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 31191040 (30460K bytes)
ahc0: <Adaptec 284X SCSI host adapter> at 0x1c00-0x1cff irq 11 on isa
ahc0: aic7770 >= Rev E, Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 4 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
ahc0: target 0 Tagged Queuing Device
(ahc0:0:0): "Quantum XP34300 55B1" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 4101MB (8399520 512 byte sectors)
(ahc0:1:0): "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:500 1.0" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(ahc0:1:0): CD-ROM
cd0(ahc0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
can't get the size

(ahc0:4:0): "SONY SDT-5000 3.02" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty

	I also have 2 IDE drives (on separate controllers), a Sound Blaster
16 ASP, 1 3c509, 1 SMC Elite Ultra, and a USR Sportster in there.  (I think
that's all the slots...)

	I have options AHC_TAGENABLE in my kernel config file, do I need
anything to do with the SCB paging?  Does it increase performance?  Would
it prevent the SCSI bus resets?  Are the SCSI bus resets a normal thing?

	I suppose this *could* be a termination problem, or some other
cabling problem, but I find it hard to believe that I could pound the disk
pretty hard with things like bonnie and iozone, and do 3 compiles at a time
without a glitch, if there is a hardware problem.  I have the Atlas drive
on an internal ribbon cable, the cdrom and DAT drives are external.

	Anyway, this isn't a huge problem or anything.  Things are *very*
stable here.  I can run 3 compiles, Netscape, and various other things at
the same time, no blips, no glitches.  (I could do more with more ram.)
Strangely enough, though, heavy cvs stuff tends to cause these resets.

Thanks,

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry