Date:      Sun, 21 May 1995 13:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RPC question

in src/lib/libc/rpc/get_myaddress.c determines it's own address by finding
the first "UP" interface.

I have a setup where my point-to-point interface lp0 is always up,
but there may be nothing in the other end.

Since our p-to-p if's do not register a route for their local address,
you can only contact the local-end address when there is a machine in
the other end.

This means that mountd (for instance) will fail to contact the portmapper...

Why on earth does the rpc code not use 127.0.0.1 ???

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'