Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:01:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, danj@3skel.com, bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> >I believe it works; Margo knows what the hell she's doing, unlike many
> >people who try to pass themselves off as FS experts.  There's really
> >comparatively very little real FS research going on in the world, and
> >I'd stack Margo up there with John Heidemann and the other Names in a
> >heartbeat.
>
> She just doesn't seem to want to answer Kirks comments...

I haven't heard about a conflict between Margo and Kirk.

I have heard that Kirk was bludgeoning in soft updates according
to the Ganger/Patt paper, and that they would only apply to FFS...
which sort of craps on Margo's work, since she shares code (UFS)
with the code he's changing.

I don't know if Kirk was responsible for the Heidemann code integration,
but CSRG screwed that up a bit as well (and it was not fixed in Lite2).
Hell, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD have all perpetuated the screwup...
tell me that the linkage table in vfs_init() is no longer sized off
of the static UFS descriptor table (for instance).

I still disagree with the implementation of the Ganger/Patt changes
as FS delta instead of graph reduction (considering each FS as an
event node graph, with commutative nd associative node relationships).

It seems strange to me to make the soft update work apply to one (and
only one) FS...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org