Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 06:40:12 GMT
From:      "Terje Oseberg" <oseberg@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Performance NICs

Isn't the 3 Com 509 a 10Mbit card?
How did you get the 3 Com 905B to work?
Do you realized that 300 GB/day is equal
to 27.7Mbits?

How many systems do you have serving 300 GB/day
through that 100Mbit switch?

A good quality 100Mbit switch is only good for
about 80Mbits before you start getting too many
colisions to get any packets through.

So, if you've got 3 systems running at that speed
on one 100Mbit switch and you're having problems
with reliability, I'd take a look at the switch
rather than the NICs.

Terje Oseberg
http://www.reactor-core.org/~oseberg

: Greetings,
:
:    We have several very-high throughput boxen (>300 GB/day each)
: sitting on an Arrowpoint CS100 switch.  Our problem is that at these
: sustained throughput levels, our NICs just crumble :-(
:
: We've tried
: 3 Com 905B (garbage)
: 3 Com 509 (so-so)
: A variety of Realtek based TX cards (slow...)
: and a DEC 21140 based card (great when it works, but seems to
: crap out at the high end of the traffic curve)
:
: FreeBSD handles some of the highest loaded sites in the world,
: so I *know* it can handle it with the right NIC.  My question
: should be obvious: what NICs do the readers recommend?
:
: Thanks!
:
: J.A. Terranson
: sysadmin@mfn.org
:
: (Please CC off list, as we are not subscribed: thanks!)