Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:08:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        manar@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ETinc's Bandwidth limiter

> >It looks like what you want (bw management, or probably better,
> >fair routing) should be done at the router, not at the server side.
> >So what are you using to drive your pipe out ?
>
> There is no "fair routing" in a web farm unless everyone pays the same
> price, which is ridiculous. Charge based on their bandwidth access
> capability..
> and with the bandwidth manager there is not accounting headaches 'cause
> they cant get more than they pay for.

Dennis, this sounds like an overstatement. Fair does not necessarily
mean 'all equals', there can be different weights for different
users depending on how much they pay for, and the fairness is in
making everyone get what he pays for.  Hard limiting the bw for
each user as you seem to suggest prevents eveyone from taking
advantage of statistical multiplexing, which, given the burstiness
of network traffic, is very rewarding for all.

(well this is the "isp" not "hackers" so excuse me if I don't stick
with what existing products do ... )

	Cheers
	Luigi