Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:06:31 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Sandi Rakovec" <sandi.rakovec@siol.net>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Modem callback howto.. HELP.

Sandi, your idea may sound good on the surface, but there are some limits
you need to consider before you go down this road to far. Today's
motherboards only have two com ports, this translates to max of two external
modems one to dial ISP and one to service dialin to your FBSD gateway box.
If you want to use internal modems you are limited to 3. Even though FBSD
has 4 sio defined in it's kernel source you can not use sio0 because FBSD
needs this one to spawn sio's for other 3 internal modems. Even in this
setup all you get is one modem dialout to isp and two dialin. There is no
technical way to get com1 and com2 plus 4 pci modems or isa modems, there
only so many irq to go around. To get additional serial ports you have to
purchase a multi serial port board that shares one irq and put external
modems on each serial port. Another thing you have to consider is a 56k
modem at your users win box will not get anything better that 28.8 or 33.6
max connection speed to another 56k modem. You can not use cheap winmodems
as FBSD does not have software drives for these mswindows modems. You have
to use modems that have onboard controllers and dsp's.
If you still want to do this with these limitations I can give you a user
ppp config file that does dialout to isp and dialin for 2 modem. The user
dialin and call back is just one  additional option statement.

Joe