Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:07:45 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        Matt Baker <matt@junior.portal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Matt Baker wrote:

> >From what I've heard, the 2501 won't handle a full BGP load due to the lack
> of memory.  A couple of questions:

It can't handle a *full* BGP load, certainly. 16mb isn't enough for
a full BGP feed.

> 1. Is it possible to only exist with a limited set of BGP data in Australia?
>    Is this the iBGP you mention?

Yep.
I'm connected to telstra internet, and you can ask them for an AS1221-only
feed, and they will give you a feed with about 5300 or so routes
describing everything in Australia and some japanese stuff too.

> 2. Would it be possible to let the 2501 handle the serial traffic on the
>    link, with a default route to a FreeBSD box which then looks after the
>    full BGP dataset?  The second link could either also hang off the 2501,
>    or the FreeBSD box.

What is your second link coming in via? You don't *need* a full BGP
feed unless you want to start doing policy-based routing and some other
cool things which most Australian ISPs don't need to ever worry
about :)

> I really don't have any problem with using FreeBSD boxes as main routers,
> but we've got the 2501, so I might as well use it if possible.

Believe it or not..

adrian@cortex:~$ uptime
 1:46AM  up 96 days, 14:21, 9 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01

Thats our FreeBSD box acting as our main gateway.

neuro uptime is 1 week, 3 days, 15 hours, 20 minutes
System restarted by power-on

Thats our 2501 uptime. The only reason its at one week is because it
locked up for 5 minutes while I was trying to fiddle redistributing
6000 BGP-learnt routes into OSPF..and then turning them off. NOT a
good idea.

The only reason I want to use a freebsd box instead of a cisco at this
point is because I can build a PC that will replace the Cisco, but have
more grunt. The CPU averages around 20-25% during peak, but while
doing a BGP update of 5000 routes completely craps itself for a minute
or so. Cortex on the other hand, does the update in a second, its a
DX2-66 with 16mb RAM.

And in case you're worried about memory..

neuro#show ip route summary
Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Overhead    Memory (bytes)
connected       0           4           192         712
static          7           4           852         2912
ospf 1          2           13          720         3684
  Intra-area: 0 Inter-area: 0 External-1: 4 External-2: 11
bgp 7585        5283        606         282672      1061780
  External: 5645 Internal: 244 Local: 0
internal        183                                 23790
Total           5475        627         284436      1092878

Thats with 5200ish telstra routes, and 300 local peering routes.

People who say unix boxes don't make good routers should be shot. For low
to mid end applications, using a PC is cheaper, can be thrown together and
got working quicker (how long does it take YOU to get a Cisco 2501 in eh?
:), and once running is as stable as hell. In fact, cortex has been just
as stable as our Cisco, because all it does is run gated and route.

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would