Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 20:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Feldman <protozoa@locutus.ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

The thing is, using Linux applications on Linux isn't all that easy. There
definately needs to be a better packaging system, but that won't happen
anytime soon.

On the other hand, commercial apps usually have very precise instructions
as to what one should do. If you're a little creative you can generally
break the rules to get these to run on FreeBSD. For instance, I installed
StarOffice by timing the length of the binary first-stage installer (which
is broken on my FreeBSD system), running it again and stopping it just
before it finishes, and then finding the newly-extracted second-stage
installer in the /tmp directory. (I'm pretty sure the installer works
better on newer versions of FreeBSD).

I think the answer is more to convince application vendors to go the extra
inch and write a back-up install script that's a little more portable than
their fancy GUI things, rather than asking the kernel hackers to go the
extra mile to ensure every Linux program works perfectly.

	-- Dan Feldman
	   Hacker, webmaster and computer connoisseur
	   Out of sight, out of mind, out of hand.

Visit http://messenger.ghs.ssd.k12.wa.us/, okay?