Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2014 07:46:16 -0700
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "'Eitan Adler'" <lists@eitanadler.com>, <hackers@freebsd.org>, <current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        dteske@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Leaving the Desktop Market

  In
> short, it is an educational experience.  While FreeBSD can be coerced to =
do
> the right thing, it is rarely there by default and often doesn't work as =
well as
> we would expect.
>=20
> The following are issues I haven't brought up in the past:
>=20
> Battery life sucks:  it=E2=80=99s almost as if powerd wasn't running.  Wi=
ndows can run
> for five hours on my laptop while FreeBSD can barely make it two hours.  I
> wonder what the key differences are?  Likely it=E2=80=99s that we focus s=
o much on
> performance that no one considers power.  ChromeOS can run for 12 hours
> on some hardware;  why can't we make FreeBSD run for 16?
>=20
> Sound configuration lacks key documentation:  how can I automatically
> change between headphones and external speakers?   You can't even do
> that in middle of a song at all!  Trust me that you never want to be star=
ing at
> an HDA pin configuration.  I'll bet you couldn't even get sound streaming=
> other machines working if you tried.
>=20
> FreeBSD lacks vendor credibility: CUDA is unsupported.  Dropbox hasn't
> released a client for FreeBSD.  Nvidia Optimus doesn't function on FreeBS=
D.
> Can you imagine telling someone to purchase a laptop with the caveat: "but
> you won't be able to use your graphics card"?
>=20
> In any case, half of our desktop support is emulation: flash and opera on=
ly
> works because of the linuxulator.  There really isn't any reason for vend=
ors to
> bother supporting FreeBSD if we are just going to ape Linux anyways.
>=20
> That is why on this date I propose that we cease competing on the desktop
> market.  FreeBSD should declare 2014 to be "year of the Linux desktop" and
> start to rip out the pieces of the OS not needed for server or embedded u=
se.
>=20
> Some of you may point to PCBSD and say that we have a chance, but I must
> ask you: how does one flavor stand up to the thousands in the Linux world?
>=20

Eitan,

While I understand your frustration, VICOR is using FreeBSD as a Desktop si=
nce
FreeBSD 2.2. We don't use sound and we are fine relying on vesa.

While I understand that the things you listed are actual short-comings for =
normal
Desktop users,  I think it's the wrong decision to say that we should be ba=
cking
out *any* functionality that would make the Desktop any more difficult to
produce.

As it stands, it would take me weeks just to count the number of workstatio=
ns
that are running a GUI, rely on one of the existing video drivers (nv, rade=
on,
mach64, etc.) and use lots of Desktop ports.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.