Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:32:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good BSD press in feedmag

> I read the article, as much as I could stand.
> While the article is about DefCon and takes more time to
> illustrate Theo De Raadt as a hacker, it's difficult to read.
> Mostly it seems from the authors need to educate us on
> large words that barely fit into the article. That and run-on
> sentences and scretching the grammer where barely plausible.

It appears to be an attempt at the early expermintal style of
William Gibson, used in stories such as "Count Zero".  This is
an understandable thing to attempt, since Gibson coined the
word "cyberspace", and his characters are the image which the
current crop of crackers attempt to portray themselves in.

As an idea, it's nice: Gibson is one of several living authors
whose work will, I believe, be considered literature by future
generations.

The execution of the style in the article sucked, however.

--
	Kid Africa came cruising into Dog Solitude on the
	last day in November, his vintage Dodge chauffeured

	Slich Henry and Little Bird were breaking down the
	buzzsaw that formed the Judge's left hand when Kid's
	Dodge came into view, its patched apron bag throwing
	up brown fantails of the rusty water that pooled on
	the Solitude's uneven plain of compacted steel.

			_Mona Lisa Overdrive_ -- William Gibson
--

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org