Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Soekris for a Trac server

=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Michael <michipili@gm=
ail.com>=0ATo: "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.o=
rg> =0ASent: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:22 AM=0ASubject: Soekris for a Trac=
 server=0A =0A=0AI am planning to move a jail-hosted service to a physical =
device and=0Awould like to hear the advices of experts here.=0A=0A=0AMy ser=
vice runs sshd, apache and trac (the ticket service) and I am=0Aconsidering=
 getting one of the products by soekris. I know that some=0Alist users have=
 some experience with these products so it would be very=0Anice for me to e=
ar if this kind of product is suitable for my project=0Aand if FreeBSD is d=
oing well on these platforms.=0A=0AAlso I am bit unsure about the setup I s=
hould pick: we are a hand of=0Ausers for the service and I would like to kn=
ow if a 64-MB Ram and a=0A166Mhz setup could do, or if I definitely should =
consider a faster CPU=0Aor more RAM. Given my actual jail based setup, is t=
here an easy way to=0Aguess the required RAM =E2=80=94 In the jail `top` re=
ports a Size of 111M for=0Athe Python process, but I guess the interpreter =
is taking things easy=0Awhen a lot of RAM is available, doesn't it?=0A=0ALa=
st, are FreeBSD jails lightweight enough to run in such a constrained=0Aenv=
ironment? It is not unlikely that the device evolves to run several=0Aother=
 services (like a nfs) and I would appreciate to be able to confine=0Aservi=
ces appropriately using jails.=0A=0AThank you for your comments!=0AMichael=
-questions=0ATo unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscrib=
e@freebsd.org"=0A=0A=0AThe way technology has moved on these days I would a=
pproach this from a=0Acompletely different manner. Soekris makes some cool =
little boxes, but the=0Alast time I looked they still had I486 cpu's...toda=
y may be different, probably=0Ais. My point is that with computers so cheap=
 these days why not just use=0Aa box, sans the drives and do a diskless boo=
t from one of your FreeBSD=0Aservers...or better yet, setup another FreeBSD=
 server using VM. It doesn't=0Amake sense to buy a box with VM technology s=
o freely available.