Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:36:53 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >But CVSup is not the only appropriate solution ...
> >We've had developers who produced useful code but were doomed to bad coms
> >links.  CTM is asynchronous to net disturbances, so ideal for those with
> >poor net access,  whereas cvsup requires a net in good condition.
>
> This isn't true since CVSup is a streaming protocol instead of a
> synchronous like SUP.  I know quite a few people who switched from
> CTM to CVSup that have poor links to the net.
>
> >Julian
> >--
> >Julian H. Stacey       jhs@freebsd.org         http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/
>
> --
> Justin T. Gibbs
>   FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations

I have switched to CVSup.  My connection to the net from home is via
a 28.8K modem to my ISP.  I am very happy with the responsiveness of
CVSup.  As an example, I updated my local copy of the CVS tree (with
about 4/5 days of changes) in 3 minutes and 46 seconds.  My link is
probably not as bad as some people's but I would say that that's
pretty awesome.  With CTM I used to get the patches four times a
day and had to apply them manually.  Which is not bad, but CVSup does
everything automagically and I get the deltas when I want them. :)

Steve