Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:16:28 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

> > Some things like multiple-level undo/redo work differently.
> > I like vim's way of doing that better. Depends what you're
> > used to, I suppose. But on vim, you can recover your unmodified
> > document by pressing u again and again: on nvi I think the ability
> > to recover past changes is more limited.
>
> :e!

Suppose you want to go back only part of the way? You did some
complicated stuff which you want to keep, then you did some other
complicated stuff which you want to undo. With vim you just need to
keep pressing "u" till you're satisfied. With nvi you may not be able
to do it.

Being used to the vim keybindings, I initially thought nvi didn't have
multiple undo.  Then I found it did, and started using it, but then I
got into the above situation a few times and didn't like it, so it's
"alias vi vim" now.

> u should toggle changes.  If you want multiple level undo, do it right, not
> by overloading basic functionality.

It's not clear to me what "right" is. In most programs (gimp, typical
word processors, etc) undo keeps undoing previous changes, redo keeps
redoing them.  That certainly seems much more sensible to me.  And if
you like old-fashioned vi behaviour, :set compatible, as someone else
pointed out.