Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:26:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   56K vs X2?

Seeing as how everyone wants to connect at faster and faster speeds (for
less and less money, ;{, It would very probably be a good idea to buy
equipment that's upgradeable. So far as I know, there's (or will be) two
version of 56K technology. Here's a blurp from a Livingston salesperson:

"We have announced an agreement with Lucent Technology on the 56k
modem technology.  A copy of the press release is available on our Web
page.  Lucent and Rockwell will be compatible.  Between the two of them,
they own 75-80% of the modem market.  Thus, we will be compatible with
75-80% of the modems out there.  USR does not appear to have any plans to be
compatible with other 56k technologies, so their 56k will only work with
the other 20-25% of themodems which are also USR. ....."

Anybody care to comment on the percentages?
I was also wondering if perhaps USR may be sheer power of brand-name
identity and loyalty, end up over the long run as the winner?

Cheers.
Len