Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:48:54 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, sigma@pair.com, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD-SA-00:41.elf?

Hi ...

Unfortunately I cannot setup a jailed machine for people out there ..
but if anyone can provide such malformed elf binaries, I'll test
it on some machines here ... run it for a few days and report back ...

I'll get the patches etc from the advisories ... check to see if they
fit into 3.5-stable apply them and test them.

So ... bottom line ... anyone got such malformed binaries ??

Reinier

On 27-Sep-00 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> [000927 14:38] wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>
>> > The issue is that most FreeBSD developers do not have a 3.5 machine
>> > available for testing - BSDi were supposed to be setting up one for us to
>> > use but it has not yet come through. This makes it very hard to test
>> > security fixes to the 3.5 branch so we don't break it by just committing
>> > blindly (in fact, I think we should officially drop security support for
>> > the 3.x branch because in practise it's not being supported for security
>> > fixes). I believe the problem is still not fixed in 3.5-STABLE at this
>> > time.
>>
>> One of the features of FreeBSD which I've found appealing in comparison to
>> the linuxes I've seen is the relative ease of upgrade and assurance that
>> your base system is secure after a simple buildworld/installworld.  I
>> think that losing this feature for any version more than three months old
>> would be a serious blow to the confidence of FreeBSD users
>> everywhere.
>>
> [snip]
>
> Before everyone goes off the deep end:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/net/res_send.c
>
> Revision 1.25.2.2 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Sat Sep 23
> 22:48:45 2000 UTC (3 days, 22 hours ago) by alfred
>
> People are working on 3.x, just because a single developer doesn't
> have the reasources at the moment to address a problem doesn't mean
> we aren't addressing the issues.
>
> --
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
> "I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

#  R.N. Bezuidenhout                  NetSeq Firewall             #
#  rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za       http://www.nanoteq.co.za    #