Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 09:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        Drew Redman <drew_redman@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install Help

Your hardware description sounds fine, but there may be something about
your SCSI that FreeBSD does not like.

See if you get additional information by hitting Alt-F2. When it hangs,
the last line is the clue to the problem.

Assuming your harddrive is properly terminated and on ID 0, you should
check the drive for bad clusters. Use Scandisk if you are running M$. I
find that DOS is much more tolerant of bad clusters than is FreeBSD. I
have a new SCSI drive (which will be going back to IBM this week) which
has a thousand bad clusters at the beginning. FreeBSD will not touch it
but DOS installs quite cheerfully.

Paul Smith
stork@qnet.com