Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:53:13 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, alk@pobox.com, gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

At 11:44 PM 9/29/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>This really has little bearing on the point that I was attacking, which
>was your statement that "Ah, but they're not draconian. Our membership
>overwhelmingly favored them.".  A majority does not the definition of
>"draconian" make; "draconian" is based on the action, not how favorably
>the action is received among a sample group.

Draconian is in the eye of the beholder.

"Beat me, beat me!" said the Masochist. And the Sadist replied,
"Nooooooo! Muhahahahahaha!"

>You also seem to be implying that I am somehow "pro SPAM".

That wasn't the intent. But abandoning the tactics that you dislike
would lead us to receive massive amounts of spam, with no effective
recourse.

>The classic case is a laptop from "visitor.com" in an IR-equipped
>conference room at "example.com" getting an IPv6 address, and
>wanting a reverse assignment as "laptop01.visitor.com" instead
>of "visiting-laptop38.example.com".  Maybe it needs this to get
>a VPN connection to access a common installation of "PowerPoint"
>for a presentation in the conference room; the reason is really
>irrelevant, so long as there is one valid reason which people
>may want to do this (and I can think of dozens, including that
>"example.com" doesn't want administrative responsibility for the
>laptop from "visitor.com"'s actions).

Sounds to me as if the ideal solution is to use a VPN, or SSH with
port redirection, to get to one's "home" mail server for both inbound
and outbound traffic.

--Brett