Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:48:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI (Linus Torvalds)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

> If somebody wants to do benchmarking,I'd suggest using at least
>  - lmbench (nice microbenchmark)
>  - bonnie (reasonable disk performance benchmark)
>  - webstone (or something similar. But use "apache" as the server, not
>    some braindead horror like NCSA).
>  - ???
>
> (the three mentioned should cover different areas, all very reasonable,
> but have I missed some important area?)

Ziff-Davis "netbench" for DOS, Windows, Windows95, and Macintosh
clients against SAMBA and/or NFS and/or Appletalk servers.

Ziff-Davis "Winbench" in an emulation environment.  Note that
"Winbench95" does not use Windows95 WIN32 interfaces -- it's
still mostly a 16 bit code benchmark, for what that's worth.

I'd like to see Ziff-Davis port to UNIX, but I think it's unlikely.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.