Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:31:06 +0200
From:      Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot@freesurf.fr>
To:        Chiheb Djabri <shadowman00x@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitionning Problem

Hi Chiheb!

Chiheb Djabri wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am New To Freebsd. I tried to create partitions for Freebsd using FDISK but It does not detect my disk correctly. The thing is I have a 37 Gb of Hard Drive; 5 Gb are allocated for Windows 98 (FAT32), ~23,5Gb for Windows XP (NTFS) and I have the rest of Disk partitionioned with Gentoo. I thought to use this partitions for Freesbd. That's what appears on Fdisk screen:
>
>Disk name:ad0
>DISK Geometry: 4865 cyls/255heads/63 sectors= 78156225 sectors (38162 MB)
>

>Offset        Size (ST)        End        Name        PType        Desc    subty        Flags
>0                     63            63                -            12         unused       0
>63             10249407  10249469       ad0s1          7               fat       11
>10249470   67890690  78140159       ad0s2          4          extended DOS, LBA  15
>78140160        25200   78165359        -               12         unused      0
>
>Besides I received a message as ad0 geometry is incorrect
>Can somebody help me please?

I've already come across "incorrect" partitioning with the Linux fdisk.
It seems to allocate half cyclinders for whatever reason.
I would recommend to rerun the partitioning using the FreeBSD
installation program. Note that, until the installation is committed,
the disk is not modified so no data is lost.

Hope it helps
    Olivier