Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:43:12 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@fireduck.com>
To:        "Joseph Gleason" <clash@fireduck.com>, <OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt>, <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIC + PCI IRQ assignment

Also, you might want to shuffle your PCI cards around and frob various bios
settings to get the realtek card to use a different IRQ.  That seems to work
for me sometimes.

Yes, I realize when I say things like "seems to work for me sometimes" it
means I don't know enough about something I probably should.

Anyone have an references/explanations for:

1) How do PCI cards get assigned IRQ's?  What is the process?
2) What will happen if two PCI devices get assigned the same IRQ?  Is it a
problem with well designed and well behaved devices?
3) What does telling the BIOS "Plug and Play OS Installed: Yes" really do?

I have been using PC hardware for many years, but with no formal
training/training I have some gaps that I would like to work on.